Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I would like to drive my 37 p/u up to the anniversary meet and enter it but have no desire to put it into any judging classes,I think the closest mine would fit might be the DPC but did not see anything about that class on the judging manual and I think I read that vehicles in that class need to certified. I would like to drive it up and put it in a display only class where there are no hoops to jump through to display it,if I were ever to try to show it in a class thats judged it would come out with negative points. Its painted in a non original color and has the wrong interior fabrics (for now) and a wrong year motor (57 235),trans (T-5) and rear end and has been converted to 12 volts with a alternator and has a stereo system plus it has radial tires and it also has fiberglass fenders and running boards. Its not a street rod but its not all original but still looks like what a 37 p/u should so is there a non judged class that I could put it in.

Last edited by junkyardjeff; 01/22/11 07:11 PM. Reason: left something out.

VCCA #45194
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If you have a fire extinguisher meeting the standard type or better then it can be entered in display only and have a place on the field. About 2/3 of the vehicles at the last Anniversary meet were in the display area.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Thats good to know since my 37 would be a judges nightmare and some clubs like the AACA would not even let me in their shows with such a vehicle.

VCCA #45194
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
How will the cars be displayed at the Anniversary meet? Will cars be parked according to year or random? Do judged and non judged cars display together or separate? Where will the cars be parked for display - at the host hotel or other? I asked about this earlier in another thread but the discussion went another direction so I am still wondering.

1934 Three Window Coupe
[img]http://www.youngsdecks.com/YoungsDecks/1934_Chevy.html[/img]
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
If it is like in the past the cars will be parked where ever you can find a space at the motel. For judging the vehicles will be parked by class.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
So, if I understand you correctly, there is no designated area for the cars to be displayed? They are just mingled with other cars at the hotel? I was hoping to have my '34 parked next to other '34's and similar years. As a newbie to the old Chevy's seeing the cars parked according to years would make it easier for me to learn about them and the changes from year to year.

1934 Three Window Coupe
[img]http://www.youngsdecks.com/YoungsDecks/1934_Chevy.html[/img]
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
This time, the Show Field will be much more structured, I believe.

5 years ago, we did not have the CDPC (Diver Participation Class). Among the folks running this Anniversary Meet, there was dissatisfaction with the randomness of the Field last time.

We would certainly like to encourage all owners to register their cars in CDPC Class at this event - versus simply "Display Only," or "Do Not Judge." I will forward this string to the busy fellow who is the Chair of the Flint Meet in case he hasn't spotted it, maybe he can shed more light.

I think you will find

Chevy Guru
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Just how modified can a vehicle be to be in the CDPC class since mine in not close to being original,I could not get in it a AACA show in their DPC class due to the modifications. My 37 is not a street rod but its not close to being correct.

VCCA #45194
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
We would certainly like to encourage all owners to register their cars in CDPC Class at this event - versus simply "Display Only," or "Do Not Judge."

Will someone explain what the difference is between "CDPC" and "Display Only" ? Until I get a Judging Manual, this all seems very confusing to me.

Bob

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Guru wrote,

"This time, the Show Field will be much more structured, I believe."

Well, I hope he is right, but I'm not real sure. I'm becoming concerned. A year ago I agreed to lay out the "Judging Field" at the upcoming Anniversary Meet. Now I'm hearing talk about Show Cars, Display Cars, and CDPC cars having a specified place to park. I don't have a problem with this, but If this is about to fall into my baily-wick and is deemed by others as what I signed up for, I'd kind of like to know that, soon.

Until such time as the numbers of vehicle registrations are firmed up and the scope of what vehicles will have an organized parking arrangement, my planning is in limbo. I can't tell you if I need to arrange and layout parking for fifty cars or five hundred, or if the layout will require two hours of my time or two days.

Steps have already been taken to make the judging field more structured than it was 5 years ago.

Detect any flustration here?

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Oldie -

I just sent your concerns to the Chairman...

He is probably thinking there is plenty of time. Waiting to see how many cars, etc. But let's make him aware that you are chomping at the bit for more info.

Don W

Chevy Guru
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hello everyone:

Yes, I have been watching this thread on display only, CDPC = Chevy Driver Participation Class, DNJ = Do Not Judge, Judged cars, HPOCF = Historic Preservation of Chevrolet Historic Features and whatever else. The VCCA as all of you know has Judging of Chevrolets as one of our cornerstones. We pride ourselves in evaluating an old Chevrolet and being able to give constructive feedback as to how closely a particular Chevy resembles how it looked when it first rolled off of the assembly line.
Our Anniversary Meet is only 174 days away from now. We already have over 500 hotel rooms reserved in the Flint area for this event. The exact number of Chevrolets coming to Flint will not be known until 6-1-11, when the official registration closes. Yes you will be able to register after 6-1-11, but certain events may not be open after 6-1-11. For example, with the purchasing of trophies and the layout of the show field, these activities are done weeks in advance. It is difficult to lay-out maybe 400 to 700 cars on 6-1-11 and then make numerous changes just a few weeks before the anniversary meet begins with cars being added to the show field. We also have the cars and the classes printed in the meet booklet. That printing occurs in late May, not a week before the meet.
Because of these issues, the exact layout will not be really known until 6-1-11. At that point, our Chief Judge Steve, our Assistant Chief Judge Roger and our Field Layout Coordinator Dick can determine the exact layout of the field.
There has been alot of discussion on encouraging people to go thru CDPC = Chevrolet Driver Participation Class vs either a DNJ = Do Not Judge or a Display Only car. I know that the VCCA Judging Committee has been looking at printing a new and revised Judging Manual. The last Judging Manual that I have access to is the Blue 2008 edition. In it, it states that CDPC is for "non-modified Chevrolet Vehicles 25 years of age....."
If your Chevy is modified with the drivetrain, I personally would definitely come to Flint, enjoy the week of fun and put the Chevy in a Display Only area or DNJ. You might also want to directly contact our Judging Chairperson and get his opinion. Our Passport Program has been encouraging all Chevrolets, as long as they generally look like a Chevy from the exterior to be a part of the group. This last paragraph is strickly my opinion and may or may not be the opinion of the VCCA.

dtm

the toolman
60th Anniversary Meet Chairperson
Dave
VCCA # L 28873
VCCA #83 Tool Technical Advisor for 1914-1966
VCCA #83 1940 Chevrolet Technical Advisor
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Hi All,
I have also been following this thread, and I'd like to weigh in on various pieces of the discussion. First, as Dave has just stated, there potentially could be a very large number of vehicles at the Anniversary Meet. Generally, other than on Judging day, attendees may park their vehicles in any area determined to be accessible by the Show Chairperson. On the day that Judging takes place, vehicles will be assigned to specific areas of the show field so as to make the judging and certification processes as easy as possible. As the registrations come in with vehicle information, we will generate counts/percentages of how many vehicles are in each category, i.e. judged, HPOCF, CDPC, etc., which will help us in our pre-meet planning. At this point, it's much too early to start that process, but once registration opens and they start coming in, we will start to come up with a more accurate idea of how much space will be required for each group and can then determine the amount of area needed. Once the registration closes, the team will gather that information and generate a finalized layout for the show field. Of course, as may be the case with any pre-planned event, adjustments may need to be made and the team will do that on an as-needed basis. I hope this information will help.
Thanks,
Steve Leunig

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
My main concern was being able to bring my modified 37 to the show.

VCCA #45194
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Jeff, Take your truck to Flint. There has been modified vehicles at every Anniversary Meet I have attended.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
You should definitely go to Flint, Jeff and take your '37 pick-up. You'll have a great time. And they'll be any number of guys who will be interested to see the mods you've done to your p/u.

My two cents....

Bill.

ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I tried to hide the modifications and wish I knew about the early 235s as I would have tried to find one and have it converted to full pressure and it would look like it still had its original 216. I made the 235 look as much like a 216 as I could and now wish I would have painted it the original color but thats too much work now.

VCCA #45194
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I would like to contact the Judging Chairperson with a specific question related to my '48 Chevy 1/2 ton p.u. Who is it, and how can I make contact with him/her? Thank you.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Try to send a PM to John 348/340HP he is one of the mediators of this Forum

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Sent a message along; just waiting to hear back. Thanks.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Just an FYI. The Judging Chairperson is Russ and he listed in the Generator and Distributor as the Atlantic Northeast #11 Area Director. He will gladly answer your question.

dtm

the toolman
Dave
VCCA # L 28873
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I pass my magazine along to a friend after reading it; I do not have his contact info.--can you please provide it? Thanks!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I sent you a PM.

dtm

the toolman
Dave
VCCA # L 28873
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Thank you--I have the information that I need and am all set. See you in Flint...it is sure to be a memorable week!

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
This has been an informative thread! I will be bringing my '63 Impala, which is stock except for wheels and stereo. Trunk has original spare, underhood is original too. Question is will I end up in DNJ?

Dave
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If you want it judged it will be judged. The "do not judge option" is is up to the owner. Points will be deducted for the incorrect items.

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Thanks!

Dave
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.