Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#195337 01/17/11 01:10 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi all, I recently purchased an ornamental steering wheel for my 39 from Koch's steering wheels. When I unpacked the box my 10 yr old daughter noticed that their were 2 hairline cracks on the wheel. The wheel was advertised as "restored" and their website claims concourse quality. I know people in this club are very particular and this would not be acceptible as concours. Now I didn't pay the big prices some of these wheels go for and it's still a nice wheel, so I can live with it. This maybe a anomaly, but just wanted to give members a heads up that if your looking for excellent work, this may not be the place to start.

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
WOW! Point Roberts WA that is a name from the past. A lot of people do not know about it. The last time I was there was about 55 years ago. Me and may father went there. All I remember is that there was a fishing cannery there

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Originally Posted by 39chevyaker
Hi all, I recently purchased an ornamental steering wheel for my 39 from Koch's steering wheels.....so I can live with it. This maybe a anomaly, but just wanted to give members a heads up that if your looking for excellent work, this may not be the place to start.

Thanks and fair warning.

However, before you go ahead and "live with it," I'd strongly suggest you contact Kock's and tell them the situation.

Either it's concourse, or it isn't. Either it's false adevertising, or it isn't.

One way or the other, it doesn't add up.

computer Just my two cents computer

Good luck getting it resolved.

Bill

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Koch offered to fix the wheel. However, after I pay shipping down there and back and have to deal with Canada Customs for taxes on the wheel value... I'm out of pocket for likely more than $100 and there are more glaring defects on my car. My point was, a shop that specializes in restoring wheels knew it had cracks in it before they shipped it and it didn't take a "carguy" (daughter) to see them.

Mike

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hey Mike,

I sure see your point.

It wasn't my place to say anything last night. But it bugs me when "we" have stuff like that happen.

I wonder what they'd say if you asked THEM about paying the shipping, taxes, etc. That might be cheaper than all the bad "press" they're getting over this......

Bill.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.