Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
birtch Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 1950 Chevy Powerglide, 6 volt. It starts easily when cold, however if I drive it even 3 or 4 miles, shut it off and then restart it it takes forever to start. It starts off slowly (acts almost like the battery is drained. but it is a new battery) then picks up the pace until it finally starts. An old mechanic said this was not unuasual and that the problem is the starter gets warm/hot and that the solution is to have additional wiring wrapped around the starter. Does this solution make sense? If not what can I do to restart easier.
Thanks

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
My 1950 PG turns over fast cold or hot. It has no modifications to the starter or wiring.
Possible cause could be poor or wrong sized battery cables. The braided ground cable can look good but be rotted away inside. The positive cable should be nice and fat, almost the size of a heater hose. If you have a thin 12 volt cable it will cause a proble, You can purchase nice fat positive cables as the farm type sores such as Tractor Supply.
All connections must be clean including where the ground cable bolts to the block.
Condition of the starter and solenoid also important.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Birtch,

It's getting hot and dragging. Maybe coiling wires around it will help keepit cool. Who knows, I've never heard of it but it may work.

More than likely the bushings are worn (out) so that the armature is not centered. Replace the bushings, clean the comutator, and put new brushes in it. Oil it good at the proper lube places and stick her back in. If the cables are in good, proper shape then I expect you'll see a big difference when it's hot.

The above is what I think may be the source of the problem. I could be wrong. I hope others will weigh in and, maybe, offer better suggestions.

Good luck,
Charlie

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Any chance you just had the motor rebuilt? My '51 was always a strong starter until the rebuild. With the new rings it was a little tight, and when hot it acted the same as yours. After 500 miles this summer on the car, it has loosened up and is back to normal.

Those accustomed to the finest...find it in Chevrolet.
1953 Belair Convertible
1951 2dr Deluxe Sedan
2015 GMC SLE 4X4
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
My 52 had the same problem. Drove me nuts! It was a combination of several things. My "new" battery was not as good as it should have been. Another new battery helped but still had the problem. Had the starter rebuilt and that helped some more but still had the problem. Had a new 00 battery cable made and it is like a new car. Spins fast and starts quickly.
One caution, If you use a battery cot off switch,make sure it is TIGHT !

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.