Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#178397 07/19/10 12:31 PM
1931Sal Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Is there an easy fix out their for squeaking brakes? My 31 sounds like a Mack truck when I come to a stop.(No pun intended Mr Mack) It does not go away if I try to put them on hard to warm them up either. There is always that little squeak when stopping. Or big squeaks when I first take off for a drive. I have almost 3000 miles on the car since compleated in 2008. One would think that by this time they should be worn in to some degree. Any body have any ideas???? Thanks

Sal Orlando
Chat Group Region Member
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hi Sal,

Mine still squeak and squeal after about 10,000 miles, and I think they're worn in. The sound quiets down a bit after warming the shoes up, but it is still there and still very noticeable. Earplugs might help, or if you have a radio, turning up the volume. On the plus side, though, it does alert other drivers of your presence - especially the ones texting.

Dan

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The woven lining with the pieces of brass woven in as part of the lining tends to squeak and the squeak will probably never go away. There is another type of woven lining available without the brass that supposedly doesn't squeak.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I know exactly what you mean as I work for a Mack truck dealership and every time I come to a stop I'm reminded of work!!I have the lining with the brass strands and the only way I can reduce the noise is by braking with the clutch engaged, downshifting to slow down and then disengaging the clutch just before coming to a stop.With 10,000 miles the lining shows little wear and will probably last longer than me!!

Steve D
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Sal
Try putting a long spring around the outside of the drum but near the opening. It could well be vibrating brake drum and the extra metal upsets the resonance preventing the squeal.
There were several vehicles down here that had this from the factory, when the spring fell off the brakes would squeal every application.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
On my 32 Coupe, I have the woven lining with the brass In them. My squeaking brakes are on the rear when I apply them. I can come to a stop and pull on the emergency brake to stop and not once have I had the squeaking. The emergency brake lining Is the same as the other shoes. This tells me there Is something else besides the brass lining shoes that Is causing the squeaking. I have not taken the drums off to check further yet. Some of you guys might try the emergency brake to come to a stop and see If you get squeaking, If not I would check out something else causing the squeaking other then the lining. I have had dogs barking blocks away when I apply the brakes.

DON BOLTZ FROM THE EVERGREEN STATE
1931Sal Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Thanks for all the input. I just went through a situation were I had to stop in front of a whole bleecher section full of people to get my first in class award at a concours a few weeks back. When I got the go ahead to get up on the ramp I kept it in first all the way and then at the top I used my emergency brake with no squeaks at all. Talk about pressure. :) When I did the brakes I thought that there was copper strands of wire woven into the lining, but it could have been brass. But it is strange that the emergency brake does not squeak. Thanks again for all the input. Some day when I have nothing to do I will pull the drums and look at what I have. So as long as they stop me the folks around will just have to look for that Mack truck that is coming up behind them.

Sal Orlando
Chat Group Region Member
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I had the problem on my 32. I fought it for a long time. I called and spoke with an old gentleman at a brake shop who said he could fix it with no problem. He rearced the front shoes and it immediately stopped the noise. The noise was really embaressing!

1931Sal Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
The noise is really embaressing. I could try calling the shop that did the shoes and ask them for their two cents, sure couldn't hurt.

Sal Orlando
Chat Group Region Member

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.