Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#173435 05/15/10 09:22 AM
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
THE FOLLOWING MAY BE HELPFUL TO VARIOUS YEAR CHEV OWNERS
Have just tested my 28 Chev after completing 4 mods to eliminate the wear spots on the gear stick, and the results are amazing. At each stage the gear shift improved.
Gear changes are now smoother, more precise, and the stick feels a lot "firmer" through the changes. Dare I say now feels like an old sports car change than a humble 28 chev.
Previously I was missing some changes and the odd bit of grinding here and there, which I thought was my driving or an impending clutch overhaul. Not any more.

In total I did 4 seperate things which all improved the change bit by bit:
1. Replaced the 2 pins on the top of the gear box tower. (Reduced the side ways movement of the gear stick)
2. Welded and filed the worn section of the keyway in the gear stick ball to match the unworn section at the bottom of the ball. If the whole keyway is worn then you require a clearance fit to the tower pins.(Further reduced the side ways movement of the gear stick)
3. Welded and filed back the tip of the stick to restore the tapered sides, with the finished size to suit the gates in your selector. ( Reduced fore and aft movement of the stick, but more importantly ensures you are fully out of one gear before selecting another)
4. Checked the assembled fit of the gear shift retaining cap, was a bit loose, so I stretched the spring about 1/4 inch. (Firmed up the feel of the gear stick a bit more)

In summary results are 1st and reverse - No sideways movement, 2nd and 3rd half an inch each way, Neutral 1" each way. Previously I had a loose sloopy change in all gears and the stick would wooble and vibrate in all gears.

In summary I can only reccomend to anyone who has not done similar or is running an unrestored box, check the above 4 areas of your gearbox, you will not be dissapointed with the end result.

Ray

Some say "Street is neat". I prefer "1928 is great"

I have documented my 45 years with a 1928 Chev Tourer, from 1973 to 2018, and regulary add other items that I hope are of interest to others. Your comments are most welcome.The story of the Red Chev can be viewed at http://my28chev.blogspot.com/
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Congrats on a job well done!!!

It's not how fast you can go, but how good you look at 20 MPH.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.