Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
OK, i checked my spark plugs that were new 1 month ago. Three of them cracked, two of those the porcilin was broken by the electrode tip, so the truck was firing on only 5 cylinders. All plugs caked in black wet gas. I cleaned up what i could and have the truck firing on 6 maybe 7 cylinders till i go get some new plugs, right now when i accellerate at all the truck dies out, if i hit the gas again before its dead completely it will stay running but it cant be driven like this it will only stay on in nuetral or if its in gear and idling. Could my bad plugs be causing the truck to die out like this or am i looking in the wrong place.

Last edited by sixyearsdown; 04/05/10 06:52 PM.

im listening because somebody always knows more than I.
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Fouled plugs can exhibit the exact symptoms you enumerate.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
What brand of plugs are you running? Just out of curiosity. I have always had alot of trouble with champion brand if thats what they are.

In my shop, quality is a standard, NOT and option.
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
i checked my spark plugs that were new 1 month ago. Three of them cracked, two of those the porcilin was broken by the electrode tip, so the truck was firing on only 5 cylinders

It may not all be the fault of the sparkplugs, maybe some fault can be attributed to how they were installed. Also they plugs may not have been the right reach, they might have been too long.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
My Neon came with regular(not long life) plugs. At 400,000 kms.I thought I should try and get them out(first time)as I was driving to Florida and it was getting a little hard to start in cold weather. Three came out fine but one wouldn't budge and if I broke it off, big problem as they're way down in a well and only small plugs.So I filled the bottom of the tube with ATF and drove to Florida and back no problem.Next year, going to florida again so I tried and it came out fine.There was almost no ground electrode left on them. Must have a great coil.Starts easily now.
The original plugs were Champions by the way as are the replacements.
Neil G. Canada

have a nice day
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
i was running autolight plugs in it. ap 25 part number

im listening because somebody always knows more than I.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.