Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My 250 6cyl developed a head gasket failure. There was a gallon of antifreeze mixed with the oil !! What product (engine additive)or procedure can I use to flush/clean the engine without having to take the engine completely apart?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I don't remember what I have used in the past. I know that I used table salt to separate the ethylene glycol and oil in a test many years ago. It would not be practical in an engine. My best recommendation would be to take a sample of the emulsion and then add a little solvent and see what happens. You eventually will find something that will separate them.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Years ago Chevrolet recommended their Top Engine Cleaner. It was a product that was poured through the throat of the carburetor to loosen carbon. It contained Butal celusolve (spelling ?) and could also be added to the oil to disolve the film left on bearing surfaces due to anti-freeze getting into the oil.
A am not sure if the Top Engine Cleaner (combustion chamber cleaner) is still sold by GM but it came in pints and quarts and the quart can was used for the crankcase flush.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.