Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a beastly 71 k5 blazer with a new crate 350 in it because the old one blew. But the girl i got it from let it sit for 5 years after putting the motor in. It ran before but didnt pass emmissions so i rebuilt the carb blew out the gas lines and tried to start it. I was not surprised when it didnt turn over but now i need some help. what should i be doing to get this monster back on the road? Please help me.

im listening because somebody always knows more than I.
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The problem is most likely moisture causing rusting in one or more cylinders. It is best to determine the reason for the engine being stuck. So removing the heads and possibly the pan are the the best way to begin the process. Because it takes much more labor many try to loosen the parts by putting a penetrating lubricant into each cylinder. Automatic Transmission Fluid or Marvel Mystery Oil or PB Blaster are what I have found to work the best. Take out the spark plugs and squirt the oil in each cylinder. Let it soak for a few days. Then try to move the flex plate both clockwise and counterclockwise. I use a large screw driver to put mild pressure on the teeth of the flex plate. If it does not move then stop! You might try adding more oil and soaking a few more days or take the heads off to inspect the cylinders.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Ok i removed the plugs and put some mmo in the holes, ill let it soak in and try to turn it by hand. Hopefully this works.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I noticed wet gas on the plugs, i believe from when i tried to prime the carb to start it. shouldi let it dry out before putting the mmo in it?

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Not necessary to remove the gas. It will evaporate or migrate into the crankcase. As long as it is not too much it won't have much effect on the oil.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well the motor is turning pretty freely so i am safe there for now but i found why shes not starting for at least one reason. NO SPARK :( There was nothing even at the distributer which is an efi and fairly new. I am noticing wires to my lights are completely rotted and fell apart so i am hoping to find some bad wires leading to the distributer. Is this a good possibility or am i looking at a costly replacement of the distributer i have in there now?

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.