Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
hanch04 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello all,

I’ve recently picked up a 1958 Chevy Apache 3800 1-Ton tow truck. It’s in great shape for being almost 50 years old.

I was searching through eBay for used tow trucks and came across this listing for a 1958 tow truck. I was looking for something a lot newer but it turns out the truck was on Long Island so I decided to take a look. It was a little rough but it was all there. It didn’t run but I wasn’t too concerned. The owner had gotten it about a year ago and didn’t know any of the history. He didn’t have the time to fix it. I made a deal and went back with a flatbed later that evening to take it back to the shop.

We brought the truck into the shop and took a closer look at everything. Someone along the way had swapped out the motor (I don’t know if it was originally a 6 or 8) for a ’72 Chevy 400 small block was a 2 barrel. We quickly realized the motor was frozen solid. With a new battery, few quarts of Marvel Mystery oil, some patients and a little ingenuity, the motor was freed up. A compression test showed all cylinders were in good shop. 8 spark plugs, a set of wires, cap, rotor and points and we had ignition. The fuel pump was shot and the carb was clogged up. We changed out the fuel pump, blew out the fuel lines, rebuilt the carb and it fired right up. The motor purrs like a kitten now. So now the truck goes, but the brake pedal went straight to the floor. I actually did get to drive it around the yard for a little bit but not the attention is on the brakes.

Everything related to the brakes is complete shot and the biggest surprise was when I pulled off the wheels. The left rear brake drum, shoes, and wheel cylinder were complete missing. The other drums at all over limits. I’ve found most of the front brake parts but the rears are proving difficult. No one seems to have the rear drums. They are 14” x 2 ¾” drums. I’m waiting on some parts before I can continue.

I’ve started scraping down 49 years of grease. A few things I’ve learned so far is that it is a ’58 3800 but someone put ’59 3200 emblems on it. It has a Weld Built back. The wheels and tires are 19.5”x8”. There seems to be tons of parts for ½ ton and ¾ ton trucks, but almost nothing for the 1 ton trucks. And there’s a lot of work to do. I’ll keep you posted on the progress.

Check out these pictures and let me know what you think. http://picasaweb.google.com/hanch04/TowMin8r

Thanks,
Chris.

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Chris, and Others as well ...

I as well picked up my dream 58 Apache, all stock, 3 on the column, straight 6, 235. As it had been sitting for 3 years +, I first did the basics (oil change, tune up, etc.). Then had the carb rebuilt. For a olde truck, she started and ran well!

Next up, the brakes. Pedal went to the ground. Master cylinder was dry; filled it, but pedal still went to the ground (as I suspected). I bled the 2 rear brakes, but, am UNABLE TO BLEED THE FRONTS! Could someone help with this?
(Metal lines, which I am used to, are used in the rear ... but as to the fronts, rubber flexible lines are used, and I do not see a nipple to loosen, in order to bleed ... am I missing something? HELP!!)

Thanks, Miles in Arizona

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
There should be a bleed valve on the top of the inside of the wheel cylinder. If they are not there it is not possible to bleed the air from the brakes.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.