Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
homer1 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Got a Muncie M 20 trans. Before installing it I decided to take a look inside to make sure all looked good. Think I could of let well enough alone and just install it, But Billy Just Dont Do That. The shifter seals look leaky anyhow, so i removed the cover. Heard a clunk and the cover came, leaving the shifter forks out of place but in the case. First question after I replace the seals how do I put the cover back on and get the Long (i want to call them flat gears) on the cover in the right place? Did I mention that I dont know what gear it is in ? Next since im there I might as well see what ican screw up by replacing the front seal also.I see a retainer of some kind around the bolts.I figure I cant get in trouble with the rear seal. Besides that the trans looks great, no metal shvings, little dust on the magnet, thats it. Thanks guys

bill pearson
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
place both side cover shafts in their neutral positions, then place both 1-2 synchronizer and the 3-4 synchros in their neutral positions. place the forks in the side cover, then carefully position the forks into the synchros.ya might wanna get a shop manual to study the layout of a muncie. if you have questions of re-installing the side cover, you might wanna let the rest of the tranny alone, install in in your car and see what happens. if the front of the case is leaking gear oil, its usually not the gasket between the main case and the throw out bearing retainer, but rather the cluster shaft/case interface. that's a problem best handled by an experienced tranny rebuilder/machinist.good luck with your 4 speed.mike

homer1 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
thanks

bill pearson

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.