Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Obob Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello Folks:

I'm in the process of getting ready to install a windshield in my '37 Master Sport Sedan, "Ol' Satin".

My Manual Of Construction And Service (p 46) says to re-install the windshield garnish molding and to set it's screws but not to tighten them, as part of the process of working and straightening out the windshield rubber weatherstrip into the correct postion. Then the garnish screws are tightened.

Can one properly install the windshield without also installing the garnish molding, or is it needed to keep the windshield gasket aligned correctly while the glue dries?

I did a search on this subject, but I didn't see anything that specifically addressed this issue. Thanks!

Obob

Obob
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Obob,

I just guessing at this, but when I had a 36 I removed the windshield to replace the rubber. I'm thinking that if you don't install the garnish molding the glass may fall inside when working around it on the outside.

I'm sure that if I didn't install the moldings on my 32 the glass will fall inside.

You may want to do as they say just to be on the side of caution.

RayG

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Thinking back to when I replaced a windshield on my 1939 (same as a 1937) Tightening the garnish scrwes pushed the moulding, rubber cahnnel, etc. into the proper place.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.