Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1930 Chevy
Unregistered
1930 Chevy
Unregistered
Hello, I am experiencing a clutch chatter. I seem to be having a problem with an light oil mist on the clutch side of my flywheel. The engine side is dry. The oil appears to be coming from the front of the transmission. It appears to travel out the throwout bearing collar. The clutch and pressure plate were new and the flywheel was resurfaced. I have put over 33K miles since installation, and this problem started in the last 5K. I believe there is no seal on the front of the trans, just a slinger. Has anyone used a sealed bearing in the front? I thought a sealed bearing with the inside seal removed would solve the problem.
Thanks
Dave C

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Dave, I would suggest removing the transmission and inspecting the area first. This is not a common area for these to leak.
The T.O. bearing sleve could be cracked (some pre war ones were pot metal), the screws loose or rhe slinger nut loose or?
The sealed bearing should be a last resort.
I assume that the transmission is not overfull of gear oil....that would be too easy :)

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 2,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 2,000
Check your motor mounts, especially the side mounts on bell housing.

1930 Chevy
Unregistered
1930 Chevy
Unregistered
The oil level is correct. I can not see if the T O sleeve is cracked or loose. I will have to check. Thanks for your suggestions.
Dave C

1930 Chevy
Unregistered
1930 Chevy
Unregistered
I have checked all engine mounts and they are tight.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Dave C

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.