Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#129818 10/27/08 09:12 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
well I put the steering and the shifting linkage in the car over the weekend way up to the steering wheel { not on yet } I adjusted as per service book and checked all photos and looks right. :whistle: but I can not shift the car even with the clutch in { I did not start the car } my question is I should be able to shift the car even when it is off and the small arm on the linkage on the lower shaft is between the lower shifter :confused: this is were everything fell in place when I reinstalled the arms on the vacuum unit and the tranny. does anyone have photos I could see that show were they should be in relation to each other. the photos I took of this area when I removed them is with the steering column out of the car { I learn more with each car} stressed

Chuck the heatingman
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

You will not be able to shift the car easily when it is not running.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
With out the vacuum assist functioning, it will take 2 men and a boy to shift the car. If you have an electric vacuum pump, capable of pulling 18" you can give it a try.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Ah ha, that's just what I was going to ask, if you used an external vacuum pump if you could shift it then.
I'm into the Advance Design trucks right now but am on the lookout for a prewar car. I've had many cars from the 50's but have not worked on any of those from the war years.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the info I will start the car this weekend and see what it does as it looks good :whistle: but will it work cool

Chuck the heatingman

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.