Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#127086 09/13/08 10:45 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 261 C/I six that came with my 1940 1/2 ton truck. The 261 is a full flow oil system with oil filter. I do not know exactly where to attach the oil lines from the filter to the block. There is two 3/4" threaded ports on the drivers side that appear to go into the oil galley. The motor was rebuilt but not assembled from the block up. I cant seem to get a lot of info for the 261 motor. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks, Harold Pickett

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The early 261 used a by-pass filter like a 235. The later ones had a full flow filter and it is important as to how it is hooked up. Will find some info. for you.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Harold,
I looked throgh my collection and can not find a picture or description of the full flow 261 oil filter. It does get oil from the main gallery, all the oil passes through its hoses so the hoses and connections are very large.
I hate to send you down the road but try the stove bolt forum or chevytalk.org (1949-54 forum the best) may get you more info.
I will also keep looking :)

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Chevgene: Thanks for looking up the 261 motor info. I am surprized that there is so little info on the 261 motors. Maybe there is but it is hard to find. If you find any info you can email me picpockett_414@msn.com or call me at 541-416-0767 PST, again, thanks for helping, Harold

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Harold,
I have a complete 261 motor complete with oil filter sitting in my shop. The large filter is mounted on the intake manifold behind the carb. The pipe directley below the exhaust outlet goes into the filter marked "in". The other side of the filter marked "out" has the hose and pipe going to the rear plug in the block.
The block connections for both outlets are metal pipe (could be copper) and are connected to the filter with flex hose.
For more information on the 261 go to Jim Carter's web site and click on "The Forgotten 261 Six Cylinder".

DD

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I too have the same engine and am experiencing the same confusion...

There are the two 3/4" ports on the drivers side... One with a pressure gauge in it and the other is bolted... The other night we "unplugged" the one port that is capped or bolted and did the drill with screwdriver on the oil pump trick and it seemed that this had pressure coming out...

There are also two other ports next to these towards the front of the engine, just behind the drivers side motor mount that are also plugged...

The only thing preventing us from actually getting this thing on the road (53 bel air) is this oil hurdle...

We were told that one way to do it was to run a line from one of the 3/4" ports to the smaller port just beneath the valve cover on pass. side which would then oil the rockers... Our fear in doing that is not knowing how the main bearings would get oiled...

Any suggestions, advice??

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
The rockers on the 261 will oil from the line coming up from the tappet area,no need to run a line ftom the left gallery over to the right side, the small plug in the head is an inspection port if you are anxious about whether oil is getting to the rocker shaft pull the plug and if the oil is being pumped up to the rockers it will show there. I have been told to not plug both of the "full flow" oil ports on the left side oil gallery, if the filter is removed a line chould connect the two ports. That is all I know, I do have a long filter off of a 1957 261 truck and several cartridges, and a 1957 261 air cleaner with the crancase ventilation system connection on the top of the aircleaner. I also have a complete set of piston rings for a 261.

*Amateurs should not mess with the highly tempermintal and strange 261 truck engine, you should trade it for a 1954 Powerglide 235 engine with a fresh overhaul on a engine stand in MrMack's shop.

*just kidding..... devil there are very few parts on the outside of a 261 that won't interchange with a same year 235.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Would it be possible to send you some pics of my engine and maybe you could determine the proper way to run a jumper such as in this pic I found on another forum??

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL777/3525700/17499650/327474862.jpg

I'd go off of this pic I found but I think my engine is a little different yet...

Do you have an email I could send pics to??

Thank you.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.