Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#127449 09/21/08 11:30 AM
RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have just completed the rebuilding of the front end of my '37 Master Deluxe Sedan. I installed rebuilt knee action units, new king pins, verifed that the wheel bearings are in good condition and installed new brake shoes and rebuilt the master and wheel cylinders. I also now have new tires installed. Although the car drives fine, I am going to have the front end aligned.

I have the service and owner's manuals and the information given for alignment sounds complicated and requiring special equipment. My question is, how important is it to check the camber and caster? Toe in adjustments seem quite easy, but I doubt that my local alignment shop would have the equipment or know how to do the "bending" adjustments required for camber/caster.

Thanks,

Rich

1937 Master Deluxe 4-door Sport Sedan
Restoration project 99% complete
May never get to 100%
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
If a shop has an alignment rack they will have what it takes to check all of your alignment specs. If you find that it is way out of spec and does require some bends to get things aligned up you can probably find a big truck shop to help you. Its still common practice to adjust big truck stuff by bending the axle.

Don

RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Don,

Thanks for the information. Looking in the service manual, they show and describe some "exotic" equipment. I just figured that this stuff would be hard to find.

Rich

May never get to 100%
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I would just set the toe and leave the rest alone unless its way out. Bending those arms can damage the unit if you do not have the correct fixtures. We had an alignment place here at one time that bent the crossmember for camber....scary. it will be necesary to bend the crossmember for castor as its a trailing are suspension. If it steers good leave it alone would be my suggestion.

Gene Schneider
RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gene,

Thanks for the advice. I will take it to an alignment shop to have it checked, but it does steer good. It was just that I replaced all the moving parts and checked the tie rod ends, etc. plus the new tires. I just figured alignment would be next.

I think that I could even do the toe in adjustment as described in the manual.

Rich

May never get to 100%
RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Well, I decided to skip the alignment shop and do the toe in adjustment as described in the manual. This turned out to be a very easy job. I just took my framing square and a 5' steel straight edge with graduations. I put the index mark on the tire with masking tape and then stood the framing square on the floor and set the 5' straight edge even with the square, then moved to the opposite side and set up the square over the straight edge and took a measurement. You then roll the car back so that the index marks are on the back side and take new measurements. The front measurement should be 1/8" less than the rear measurement. I was 7/8" difference. I took some tape and put it on the threads so that I had about 1/4" to suck up on the tie rod and then made measurements again. I was close, but needed one more tweak. All in all, this took less than 1/2 hour and was quite easy.

Rich

May never get to 100%
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Not only did you save a few bucks, but you had the satisfaction of being self-reliant !! Wonderful - isn't it ?

-BowTie Bob
RichK Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Yes, it is wonderful, and easy. If the alignment shop would have given a break on the fee to only do a toe in adjustment, they could have had the job.

I drove the car this afternoon and I can say that I cannot tell any difference, but I am sure that the tires appreciated the adjustment.

Rich

May never get to 100%

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.