Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
My 1998 Chevy S-10 pickup has a short on the driver's side. I went to Napa Auto to replace a bulb in my left rear tail light, but all three bulbs tested OK. One socket is discolored. The left front signal flickers fast when you signal. It was suggested that there is a short somewhere in the wiring. SHould the entire wiring on the left side be replaced? Or, what is the best way to find this short? Help. Thanks,

Dan.
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
If the socket is corroded inside (Whitish and crusty) There is the possiblity that it is conducting between the terminals (assuming it is an 1157 bulb) hence no load from the tailight to the flasher and it flashes quickly. Also, ground faults can cause electricity to do crazy things. I would think it is safe to assume that that bulb grounds to the chassis metal via the taillight housing or, a wire. Napa also has the capacity to print you an entire vehicle ground diagram. Really handy if you have ever worked on a Ford with the standard 192,787,121.799 Body grounds. Also if you have an ohm meter, with ignition and lights off, Ground one lead, and try the terminals in the socket individually. It should be infinite resistance.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the help. It was a corroded connector and a bad bulb. Napa tested it as good, but it was a bit cloudy. Put a new connector with a new bulb and all is OK. Thanks, again.

Dan.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.