Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102083 06/04/07 04:05 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Not sure if it's the spcific light, wiring, or me...

59 Apache

The drivers side rear light is brighter than the other side. When the brake is applied, the other side matches the brightness. The turn signal works as it should - unless the running lights are on! Then the light does not blink. The front does, the rear does not. Only when the running lights are on does it not signal.

Any advice? I sure would appreciate it.

Jim
Apache Hauler
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Sounds like a ground problem.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Dandyd sounds correct. It appears to be finding an alternative ground due to lack of a proper correct ground.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
It could also be an incorrect globe or globe fitted incorrectly.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hey Jim,

I don't mean to talk down to ya or sound like an echo B-U-T, as Tony suggests, I'd be sure all is well with the bulb(s). I can't be the only guy that ever grabbed the wrong bulb. Or opened a NEW pack and somehow got the only BAD bulb. Or didn't insert it just "so." Or had a problem that I didn't even make myself.

Basically, I had the same type problem you describe with the '56 convertible I bought about a year ago. I called the previous owner and he said it had always been screwed up - for the 3 years he owned the car! (Oh KRAP, thought I!!)

Well, the good news is after half hour or so of screwing around with bulbs, making sure they were 'in' just so and etc. etc. ALL is fine. The turn signals and brake lights work properly whether the lights are on or off, etc. NO expensive / time consuming wiring hassle. Basically, just a damned bulb.

I hope this inspires you to try some of the simple stuff first. You know, kinda like KISS.

Like I said, I definitely do NOT mean to be talking down to ya.... just hoping the best for ya!

Bill.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Bill. I always appreciate the simple things. I removed the bulb and replaced it with a new one. Same thing. Replaced that one with another. Same thing.

Now, it just occurred to me today that I replaced the pigtail on it over the winter. Now, this could mean nothing. Or, it could be the root of the problem. Think I'll pull it out and try to reinstall it. I'll take a look at the way the bulb seats in the socket. It could be taht simple.

I rewired this truck 3 years ago and it has never shown signs of problems til this episode. It's gotta be that daggone connector.

We'll keep you posted.

Jim
Apache Hauler
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
..." replaced the pigtail over winter"...are the wires backwards and the tail light filament wire is switched with the brake light filament wire?

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
That's the direction I'm going. Hopefully this is the easy answer.

Jim
Apache Hauler

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.