Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101832 05/30/07 08:06 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
The fluid in my '54 powerglide transmission doesn't appear to be type A. It is not red. Could having the wrong fluid in it cause it slip? It started slipping under heavy load on the Spring Tour, I'm about ready to pull it out for a rebuild although it is supposed to have gone thru a rebuild recently. But It may have not been done properly.
Cleon

Last edited by Cleon Eck; 05/30/07 08:07 AM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
I think I would change the fluid to type "A", at least you would know what was in it, and then drive it for a while. A lot easier and cheaper than removal and rebuild. It may still require work, but you would have a better handle on the situation.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Cleon,
In addition to the Type A, which is very difficult to find, you can use the modern Mercon fluid in your PG transmission. The bottles that I have are labeled for a multitude of transmission specs and for replacement of most all previous fluids, except for the higher viscosity Type F and some early Chrysler types.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hey Cleon,

I guess sometimes I just postpone the inevitable; B-U-T I'd do as Ray suggests and change the fluid.

Sort of like taking little steps first. Rather than jumping in feet first. Sure can't hurt any to try the easier stuff first....

Bill.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Yes, I think I will be a optimist and drain the transmission and torque convertor and refill with type A.
Thanks for the replies guys
Cleon

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
cleon before i would pull the transmission out i would do some checking . the 53-54 repair manuel has a section on transmissions checking and service may be something simple as cleaning the strainer or adjusting the bands. you can get a good check in the car by checking the pressures all in the book . most say they are bullet proof . i have one in the shop i took out of my 54 havent looked at it yet .the problem is the engine did not run so i could not check it out before i took it out . that means i will have to take it apart and inspect probably would do that anyway put in new seals and gaskets check the plates and bands . these transmissions are not easy to get out earlier cars are even worse.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The original type A fluid was not red. The coloring was added to all transmission fluids about forty years ago. The red is to identify a leak as coming from the transmission.Type A was replaced by Dexron at about that time, then replaced by Dexron II, then II, and I think that they ar eup to 4 now.The proper fluid is the present Dexron III or IIII fluid sold today....but it should not slip with any of the other modern fluids that are designed for other makes of cars. Dexron is one of the more "slippery" type fluids.
When does it slip? When starting off fast and slipping on the initial start, when downshifting into passing gear (these would be typical of low band adjusted too loose) or does is slip on the up shift from low to drive.This slip would indicate either low oil pressure oe worn hi clutch plates.
Is the vacuum modulator line leaking vacuum, modlator bad -exhaust will smoke.........If the fluid has turned from red to brown and smells burnt the clutches are fried .

Last edited by Chev Nut; 05/30/07 02:19 PM.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gene it slips in high only. Low band is fine, in fact I was shifting it in to low on the hills. I did not let it slip enough to fry the trans. As soon as I would feel it start to slip on the hills I slowed to 35 and downshifted. I have a feeling a O-ring or one of the sealing rings on the shaft is leaking in the clutch pack. It is interesting that the modern Dexron is OK I remember in the 50's that F##d products had a fluid that they used and Chevrolets were Type A. And supposedly you could not mix them. It has been many years since I worked on a cast iron Powerglide but I still have the manuals so I will probably have to open them up.
Cleon

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I believe that you are thinking along the correct lines.
I have mixed Dexron and Type F in my '57 and Corvair for years. Never could feel the difference although the Type F is supposed to give you a more firm up shift. The Type F is more like the Trickshift fluid sold for high performance cars.
Today Ford and Chrysler each have several types of fluids for their various transmissions.....what ever happened to the good old days? :)

The PG is actually easier to remove from the late 1953 and 1954 as the cross member is bolted in and can be removed. The 1950 thru early 1953 had every thing riveted together making it a real pain to drop the unit.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 05/30/07 06:27 PM.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.