Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I just received my May issue of G&D. In terms of the types of articles that G&D offers, this issue has certainly offered the best balance of articles to appear in the publication for some time. Some of the issues one often sees discussed in the VCCA chatroom and elsewhere include attracting new members, retaining old members and creating more interest in older, original Chevies. G&D should certainly provide a means for doing that.

I’m delighted to read that G&D will be attempting to offer technical articles. I think these are key to younger vintage Chevy owners and/or those like myself who have an interest and/or a car but not a lot of mechanical skills. When I was in high school, prevailing philosophy was that you were either a smart kid or you took auto mechanics. No one realized that you could be both. And I didn’t grow up with the ’38 Chevy I have now. As a high school substitute teacher, I promise you that technical information will become even more essential as time passes…too many kids (especially boys) nowadays have no clue how to use a hand tool of any sort. I am always pleasantly surprised at how much technical information is available on the chat site, while simultaneously dumbfounded at how little effort G&D makes to promote the VCCA site and the storehouse of information it contains.

Now I want to toss out some thoughts about G&D…play the devil’s advocate, if you will. Let me say up front I don’t mean anything I say to be taken personally, but only as constructive criticism. I never dislike anyone I haven’t met personally. I think that in a small way, I’m qualified to comment to a degree because I spent about 20 years in publishing, most of it small newspapers. In terms of staff and resources, you could compare the newspapers I worked for to G&D.

I get two old car magazines only at this time, as I’m undergoing a career change. They are: G&D and Hemmings Classic Car.

Hemmings has lots of resources such as advertising revenue, color, paid staff, broader distribution, etc. G&D, as best I can discern, is quite the opposite. It has little or no paid staff. It doesn’t have a lot of advertisers nor massive distribution. If you know anything about publishing, you know that G&D is doing things the hard way…and for the most part, a remarkably consistent job of it.

That said, G&D may have also gotten too comfortable and too predictable. It happens. I’ve been there and can look back and be thankful to the events/people who snapped me out of my lethargy.

I read Hemmings cover to cover. I read G&D almost cover to cover. I’ll tell you why and perhaps the rest of you can chime in if you disagree or agree. For the most part, I’m not going to dwell on what I like. You may assume if I don’t mention it, I like it and read it monthly.

I’m looking at May. George Perry’s obit. When I worked in small newspapers, obits often made me do one thing: kick myself for not writing about these people when they were alive. Ditto for obits in G&D.

Chevrolet Review. I think an editor’s note explaining why this column is here would be great. I’ve never read one start to finish. I did this month. It’s not badly written, it’s just … boring. Irrelevant? Why do we cite dates of 1907 car shows? You can’t attend them. Does anybody read this column? If so, maybe limit it to a page.
Southern Fall Tour. This is a club publication, so you really must run club events. Too often, the articles sound identical. I wouldn’t want to see these articles go away, but I also am disappointed at issues that are heavy on these articles to the exclusion of owner profiles.

Owner profiles. Love them. Can’t get enough. “Stubby” was great. Not written in the usual or perhaps “typical” format, but great article.

“Mystery!” Oh, dear. Here, I cringe. There’s a problem when you rely solely on reader solicited content--actually, a few problems. You cannot edit them to the extent they need to be edited because you might hurt someone’s feelings or drive away contributors. That means that editorial quality can suffer. Light editing leaves open the possibility that the editor(s) will look incompetent. Ditto for the author.

I can understand that an article on dealer emblems and license plate frames could be interesting. “Mystery!” has on occasion been interesting. But, goodness, it needs editing. Brevity needs to be the word. Historical research is painfully tedious and mundane. We don’t need the details. Too, often, as it did this month, we read that the author contacted Joe Bob, who knew nothing; who referred him to Bill; who knew nothing but referred him to Willie, who didn’t know jack … you get the picture. This mind-numbing journey might have been avoided had the author simply typed in “Goose Creek in an Internet search engine. Sadly, this article could have/should have been edited to a picture caption. The column was tortuous for me to read, in no small part because I believe G&D editors failed its author by allowing him to ramble and damage his credibility. You always do well to put a limit on column length. OK, enough of this.

“Great Chevrolets.” Show us more.

What do I think would serve readers better?
As I said before…more links/references to a Web site. I’m sure some of the older club members don’t have or want a computer. I understand. But folks, the VCCA Web site is so great, it justifies buying a computer and taking classes to learn how to use it!

I’d love to see more interior pictures of cars. It’s easy folks, just always have your camera’s flash on whether you are inside the car or not. I recently attended a Tri-Five Chevy show and it brought to the fore just how boring car interiors have come.
How about some profiles on club members…before they die! What the heck does Chevy Gene look like, where’s he live and does he have any unmarried daughters who know as much about Chevies as he does? OK, I’m married, but I’m sure not all you guys are!
How about profiles/pictures of interesting Chevies that don’t belong to club members? I know this opens a potential can of worms, but at this Tri-Five show, a local couple showed up with their original ’55 Chevy, bought originally by the owner’s mother. It has some things the other 50 or 60 other cars didn’t…a six-cylinder, dirt and the pen handed out by the dealer in body matching two-tone pink and great. This couple left two other great Chevies at home.

Follow-up stories. I'd like to know how some of the stories ended. Did they ever bring that 1920's Chevy up out of the lake?

Finally, a series I love in the Hemmings publication is that profiling old, original, unrestored cars. I think to keep any car club alive, you need to get past the perception that the only old car worthy of being seen is one in better condition than new. I suspect that unrestored cars far outnumber restored and if you are an old car nut, you love them all.

At the aforementioned Tri-Five Show, a fellow showed up …at the encouragement of his neighbor…with a gorgeous ’57. I would compare its condition to that of a one-year-old garage kept car. A weekend’s work would have raised it to perfection. He vowed never to return to the show because the car wasn’t good enough! I hope another fellow and I talked him out of that kind of thinking. We really need to end that attitude. I really have great admiration for the people who restore their cars to mint condition. There wouldn’t be an old car hobby without them. But the folks who keep any old car on the road are to be applauded as well.

That’s about all I have to say on the subject. I’ve been wanting to raise these issues before, but just haven’t had the time. I’d love to hear what other folks think. I’m sure many of you have great ideas or can set me straight on a few things.

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Amen. You have a believer here.

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
TaylorD,
I agree with most of your post. This web site offers more bang for the buck!

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Nice to read the opinion of TaylorD. Would it be possible to create an editor's committee to check the profile/goal and adjust the G&D to the market (i.e. VCCA members) of today? Why not use some of the judges from each area looking through the club magazines?

Many parts of the magazine are really good, but some also need improvements/changes. The two pages in front and at the back (at least) should be in color print. etc. etc.

The magazine and the Chat pages should be adjusted to help and promote each other to a win-win situation. Many members are now suffering from the lack of a database which would make it possible to present the classified ads at the same time for all members "whereever you are" - if you have a working PC.

Hope we will get the April issue soon. snore

Solan G, # 32797

Take advantage in your hobby by being member of VCCA!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I would suggest that your thoughts on the G&D be sent to the BOD and as a letter to editor of the G&D. Go to the vcca.org website for email addresses. It is vital for the "powers" to understand the desires of members. If enough other members agree then it justifies action. It just takes one person to get things rolling.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I appreciate the obvious effort and thought that TaylorD has put into the above posting. I won't express a public opinion on the content at present, but I will say that Chipper's post sounds like a good idea to me.

And Solan, your electronically posted Classifieds will be available beginning in July. Around the world, instantaneously to every member with a computer, on the first of each month.

Chevy Guru
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
TaylorD,
That was one of the most interesting, constructive and intelligent posts that I have read.
For some reason the publication and the chat site do seem to oppose each other. They should be complimenting each other.
Perhaps we all find different articles and subjects more or less interesting. But then we all have different interests. I for one enjoy "Mystery" due to my dealership background.
If it were not for some of the mentioned articles some months would be sadly lacking in reading material. Would be great if the members would contribute more. It appears that you have the talent to contribute. Give it a try. Send in an article describing how the site has been to your benefit.luv2
If the Chevy Gene you are refering to is me I would gladly send you an autographed picture for a small charge :). I have one daughter and four sons. Most have little interest in cars in spite of the fact that they grew up in the back seats of my 1934 and 1939 Chevies.
All comments are intended to be positive. dance

Last edited by Chev Nut; 05/31/07 06:28 PM.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I'm not married...Oscar bigl :love: :love: bigl

OSCAR ALBRETSEN
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Sometimes, I do get the opinion that the G&D and the Chat site are in competition with each other, rather than really opposing each other. I think to some extent that is a natural human thing. But the idea that they should compliment each other is more desirable to me. As Gene said "BE POSITIVE" (which he always is)is the best way to be, hands down. I also think having a critical view once in a while is good, it tends to open up the dialog. If we are talking to each other and realize "The Big Picture" and our basic goals are the same.....It is my opinion that we are making progress.
How do we know what the members want if we never hear from more than a small sample of them? Like how many vote each year in the election for Directors. Why would they not vote? Maybe, just maybe, because there is seldom any competition amongst the candidates, Who wants to run against a good friend? From what we see about each candidate ?...what do we really know about how they stand on an issue?

Like my grandson said:

"Be paitent Grandpa, and read the instructions!"

Better things are coming to VCCA. We drive old timey cars, but we don't have to think like old timey people!
))))))))Can You hear me now?

)))))) Membership database))))Membership Database))))Membership Database))))))))

By the way "Rust to Shine" you are single, but the truck goes where you go. Right? Just checking! devil yay

And about writing to the BOD, that is ok too, but....Me thinks that when anything is posted here on this fine communications tool that it really is being heard, anyway I hear about my miss-cues all the time! (even how they are misspelled!!!)

LC, Ranger Walker was there, but Deputy Joe scared his pants off!

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
This afternoon after I posted my comments, I began to think.
OOPS! There he goes again, Right, Junkyard dog?

The article that TaylorD posted here is a good and positive indicator to me.
It indicates that TaylorD cares deeply about our club and it's magazine "The Generator And Distributor" and hopes to help improve its quality and appearance.
This magazine is the primary communications link for a large percentage of our members. The chat site (vccachat.org) is our newest and most timely and direct communications link, however it remains in a secondary role for the majority of the club. That is just the way it is.
We ,the regular visitors and contributors to the chat site, need to promote the magazine and always look toward new ways to improve the appearance and content of the primary link.
TaylorD did a lot of work and is to be commended for his efforts.
Our National BOD has started a progressive leap into the 21st century. I am anxious to see what conspires at their VCCA Board of Directors Annual Meeting next March. We have come a good ways since the BOD meeting in 2006.
I do have higher hopes than ever before, if not in the mere increase in the number of members, but I believe there ia beginning to be a rise in the overall quality of our club. I also believe that the quality of the VCCA is being improved by the VCCA members and officers that post their thoughts and comments here on the site. It is my belief that a rise in quality will make for a rise in quantity.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Originally Posted by Chipper
I would suggest that your thoughts on the G&D be sent to the BOD and as a letter to editor of the G&D.

CCON sent a few motions concerning G&D to BOD last summer, but they were mostly refused. It may be difficult for us here to see all points when VCCA is so complex and so many, so no hard feelings in that matter.

Still, it should be possible to come up with some people revising the contents and the style, use of colors etc. of G&D from time to time. auto

Solan G, # 32797

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Maybe a story in the G&D on some of the electronic features available now and in the future for members would be good

A good in-depth positive article about Chatter in the G&D and its features would be nice IMHO. Maybe that would help clear up any misunderstandings plus it would maybe bring more members into using Chatter.

Also the article could include something about viewing the ads online, which might encourage some to get into computers also.

Also anything that is being considered like voting via computer would make great reading or paying dues on line, etc.

IMHO

People are like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get...
mike41 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
My 2 cents, I expect the VCCA Web site {technology} will grow dramatically over the next 2-5 years. Make that DRAMATICALLY !!!!!!!

By dramatic I mean, I expect it to get bigger, stronger, more fun, have more data, be more interactive, have a stronger presence and INCREASE in value & services 50 times, to what it is today. Which is GREAT! And basically, technology is THE future.

The changes & improvements that I have seen over the past 6 months in VCCA web site have been wonderful. Same-O for VCCA's G&D publication. So Congrats to all involved in these and future accomplishments.

And it's sure is nice to read positive and supportive posts of ideas and thoughts. I get a we bit tired of reading criticism. So the positive thoughts & ideas are very welcome to me. And much more effective.

Mike41

Last edited by mike41; 06/01/07 01:39 PM.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
There is no doubt that this web site has improved the quality and involvement of members and ideas regarding the VCCA.

As stated above the club has relied on the G&D for communications over the years and involvement by members has be mediocre at best. There are a number of problems that have been stated accurately by TaylorD. "Lack of interest" comes to mind when I think of the G&D. Add in the terrible delivery system and you have something that is a poor representation of what this club wants to be.

I would expect the BOD to direct the editors of the G&D to clean house and put together a paid staff to produce a publication that has more color, better reading, and up to date with club events and news.

Articles of interest to everyone should be a priority. Reports about past events should be just that. A brief report. News should be in-depth and should include details when reporting new motions.

For me, I find it a lot easier to log in here and feel like I belong to a club. The G&D editors need to "link" themselves to this site and consider it a resource rather than it's competition. Registered Chatter II people could then be assured that some of the great ideas here might find there way into the G&D for all VCCA memebrs to read. In the past three to fours years this web site has been a think tank for information and great ideas. Just a handfull of those thoughts and needed changes have actually been reported in the G&D.

Times are changing. The VCCA's monthy magazine needs to catch up with the VCCA's web site!

RayG

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
I don't mean to throw water on anyones fire, but to have better and more interesting articles in the G&D, someone has to write them. That someone is you, and you, and you. In this string alone, there is enough material for 5 or more articles. Let's flood the editor to the point they must SELECT from the entries which articles will be printed. Now go write.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
...Ray is 100% correct. The editor is not the person that writes the stories and articles....They MUST be provided by the members so the editor then has them to publish. I for one feel that the G&D Editors do a great job.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
All articles in the G&D don't have to be new to be in the G&D. IMHO

There are articles already written out there which would be helpful to VCCA members. Check out different car type topics on the WWW.

Also there are 'how to' articles that appeared in the G&D many years ago that could be re-run for all of the people that are members now and not members back in the 70's, etc. IMHO

There are articles in other kindred car club magazines that I'm sure we could get permission (and give credit to) to print in the G&D. IMHO

Is there a list anywhere of all of the tech. and 'how to' articles that have appeared in the G&D??? Not everyone has a complete set of G&D's.

Last edited by Louis C.; 06/02/07 03:16 PM.

People are like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get...
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
We have spoken about a posssible club library before. May be someone (several volunteers) could start now scanning a lot of the technical articles already written in G&Ds. They could make them prepared for putting into the web pages for members. So when the database is working (SOON), the club soon thereafter will have an online library, easy to find and use. No trouble with storage and involving people to help as librarians.

That material will be of great value to lots of newer (and older) members if they are sorted and indexed as on these pages.

I am pretty sure some major articles also deserve a new performance in G&D.

bigl

Solan G, # 32797

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
June G&D received today!!!!! , but where are the April & May issues??? Thanks for speedy delivery.

The raise in changing to first class postage delivery is high, so may be I will prefer the periodically delivery and hope for the classified ads from G&D on these pages soon. auto dance

Solan G, # 32797

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Erling,
That is really something you get yours in Norway before us Texans get ours.

From what I understand it looks like the first class is no longer an option. It is the standard rate for International Members.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
RE: more technical articles.

1) The G&D is THE ONLY membership benefit for most members (those not in regions, going on tours and using this site). The G&D is totally dependent on articles submitted by the members. I have been told that some 80% of the VCCA revenue goes to support the G&D. I don't see the G&D hiring professional writers anytime soon.
2) This web site is a gold mine of technical information. Where else will you find out how to straigten the top cover of Rochester B carburetor? I didn't know you could do that!

Therefore I am going to suggest that you join me in digesting some of these threads into technical articles. I am willing to start off with the trailering/towing discussion(s) of some years ago. What I come up with will be posted here for review, and the original contributors mentioned. I hope you will do the same.

There is a lot of good stuff here that ought to be in the G&D!

Chevy50Jim

Last edited by chevy50jim; 06/05/07 07:47 AM.
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Jim,
Excellant idea. Don't forget there is a G&D Technical Article Committee ready and willing to help with article reviews etc. They also welcome suggestions on articles printed in the G&D in the past that are worthy of reprinting. Check your June issue of the G&D for more details. The introduction of this Committee is in that issue. At least is is supposed to be. Can't tell for sure until I get my issue or Erling confirms it!

mike41 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Go Jim !!!! Great plan & contribution.

And maybe some day we can ask a "professional "auto" related writer to add his/her 2 cents. Or maybe we can ask for "rights to publish" articles we run across in other publications. There is always a way to improve. Always.

I really like the June, G&D. It's well written, enjoyable and I like the "changes" that I see as well.

And I can't wait for the technical articles and especially the "1941 accessory" article. I do wish I could've read the copy on Ron Wades accessory list. Was a we bit fuzzy, or was it me ??
Michael41

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Only to confirm that you can read the Introduction to the G&D Technical Article Commitee on page 17 in the June issue.

A CCON-member here confiremd he had received the April and June issues today :), still missing the May :(.

Solan G, # 32797

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I have the strong feeling that all work done by the BOD lately to search for a faster delivery of G&D Internationally is overruled by a decision just made by US authorities: They have decided all transport of parcels/post to foreign customers will be by air and from this moment.

OK, we cannot change that, but the membership fee will have to double to cover the extra expense already in action, if we still want the G&D each month.

IMHO: If my information is right, this will be a dramatic change and may lead to many International members leaving the club. curse

Solan G, # 32797

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.