Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
1937-1945 Jump to new posts
Re: Gas Gauge Sending unit Lou 03/28/24 07:41 AM
. I just looked in the trunk of two 1937 Deluxe sedans and could not see any access hole to the sending unit under "tar paper". Look under floor mat in 38. (37 had spare tire in different location than 38.) Here's some other suggestions: <http://home.znet.com/r1937/Fuel.htm>. .
. .
1 13 Read More
1937-1945 Jump to new posts
Gas Gauge Sending unit Rons38MD 03/28/24 03:26 AM
38 Master Deluxe - was there a factory access hole in the trunk on the Sport Sedan? Having issues with the gauge and was hoping for access without dropping the tank.
1 13 Read More
General Discussions Jump to new posts
Anyone in the Area of the Barry Weeks parts Auction? Nick_in_Manitou 03/28/24 02:25 AM
I would have assumed that there was a discussion of this auction somewhere on the site, but I could not find it. I hope I am not breaking any rules by bringing this up.

The auction is online and being run by a company whose reviews make me uncomfortable in bidding from a distance. The local auction group may be fine, but there are challenges in figuring out how one will pick up any auction lots they may be the highest bidder on.

If there is anyone associated with this VCCA group who lives near the Lake Elmo, MN, location where the parts are who wants to make some $$ by picking up and arranging shipping for parts other members of this group may have purchased, it seems like a win-win to me.

I have just started working on a 1940 1/2 ton pickup project and see a number of items I would bid on if I could figure out how to pick up the items and get them back to my home.

If I were closer, I would just head over there on the 1st of April for the one day offered for inspecting the parts. Parts have to be picked up the day following the auction close between 10:am and 4:pm. But...it is a 17.5 hour trip from my home to the auction site.

Nick
0 19 Read More
1929-1932 Jump to new posts
'29 Electric temperature sending unit beachbum 03/28/24 12:40 AM
I tried to go to the technical library to find the G & D article on rebuilding the Nagle electric temperature sending unit. Unfortunately the technical pages are unavailable due to maintenance. A person on the AACA forum has an electric gauge that is different but I told him the sending unit could have been similar to the '29 Chevrolet, and Durants of the same vintage. Naturally when I looked in my car file I couldn't find a copy. Did someone save a copy they could email me so I can pass it on to him?

Thanks
0 13 Read More
Upholstery - Interiors & Glass Jump to new posts
Re: Ashtray - good enough to be straightened/woodgrained minetto 03/28/24 12:29 AM
Sorry all, I missed the fact that the ashtray face is dented. That will require a little more work than just paint. Attached is a picture of a dash functioning as wall art that was grained with left over wood stain.
3 52 Read More
Upholstery - Interiors & Glass Jump to new posts
Re: Ashtray - good enough to be straightened/woodgrained minetto 03/27/24 11:44 PM
Scott, If you send it out, the first thing the individual will do is strip it to bare metal and start fresh. Being an ashtray (small area) it will make a great DIY project. There are several videos on line explaining woodgraining on bare metal. It’s basically a four step process, primer, base color, graining color and then clear. Think Home Depot, Hobby Lobby, or you might already have something left over from previous projects. Being straight grain, a narrow natural bristle brush works great to apply the graining color. I sometimes cut the bristles shorter to make them stiffer. I have used automotive touch up cans for base color and diluted oil base wood stain for graining. MinWax used to have a good tutorial on their website. You’ll be surprised with the results and if you’re not happy, the professional can strip your paint rather than that from the factory. For dashes and larger areas I use the Grain-It process but that’s pricey. Mike
3 52 Read More
Mechanical - Engine, Trans, etc Jump to new posts
Re: 41 Special Deluxe Stovblt 03/27/24 10:57 PM
That is the right code for a 1941 216 passenger car engine. 👍 🙂
24 1,501 Read More
PARTS - Wanted Jump to new posts
NUTS for 216 brass valve cover hold brackets fonz8261 03/27/24 10:15 PM
Looking for a pair of good used original nuts for the 216 valve cover brass hold down brackets.
0 22 Read More
Re: 41 Special Deluxe eertle 03/27/24 09:41 PM
The engine code is AA.

Thanks for the advice on not using gaskets. I don’t suppose there’s a generally agreed upon torque spec?
24 1,501 Read More
Re: 1932 deluxe 2 door Coupe Stovblt 03/27/24 09:39 PM
Hi Tom

Welcome to the best vintage Chevrolet forum on the internet!

If you car, and in particular the cooling system, is in decent shape,
your car is a GREAT candidate for parades.

I used to run my 1929 sedan in parades with no issues at all.

I'm sure you would get lots of attention. 🙂
2 42 Read More
Body - Sheet Metal, Paint & Wood Jump to new posts
Re: Paint colors. Tiny 03/27/24 09:34 PM
Welcome! I'll move this to the Body and Paint forum for you.
1 33 Read More
Re: 41 Special Deluxe Stovblt 03/27/24 09:33 PM
Forgot to say...

Only running with the choke on when cold,
and only running well at higher RPM's when warm,
is the way my 216 ran with blocked idle system passages.

With both a Rochester AND a Carter W1.
24 1,501 Read More
Re: 1932 deluxe 2 door Coupe Tiny 03/27/24 09:32 PM
Welcome! I'll move this to General Discussions to get you a wider audience.
2 42 Read More
Re: 41 Special Deluxe Stovblt 03/27/24 09:30 PM
Hi eertle

I know, not using gaskets on the insulator is highly counter-intuitive.
But I followed Gene's advice on this and it works perfectly.

Regarding the hole spacing on the carburetor, I THINK it's possible to have a 235 manifold on a 216, with only a slight misalignment at the ports.
Others here will know that better than I.

As to identifying the 216 based on the side cover, I believe the early dipper lubed 235's had tall side covers as well and looked a lot like the 216's.
The 235's were only used in larger trucks, but maybe they could be swapped into a car?
Again, others will know this better than I.

Is there a number stamped into the machined flat area on the engine block just behind the base of the distributor?
That number could tell us more about your engine.
24 1,501 Read More
1932 deluxe 2 door Coupe Tomvanhouten 03/27/24 09:11 PM
So I am new here I just looked at a 1932 Chevrolet 2door delixe Coupe. It’s an older Restoration. What are things I should be looking at, asking the present owner, etc. is this a good cat for parades and cruises? Any special quirks these have? It has the 6 cylinder over head valve engine. Mostly original interior, exterior has been repainted. I value any and all opinions! Thank you
2 42 Read More
Body - Sheet Metal, Paint & Wood Jump to new posts
Paint colors. Jayhicks 03/27/24 09:08 PM
Good Afternoon.
I was just wondering if anybody out there happened to know the paint color ,code for the white in chevy 350 fender emblems. And the blue on a Nova hood lip emblem. Thank for any help jay
1 33 Read More
1929-1932 Jump to new posts
Re: Electrolock repair Michael_Paul 03/27/24 08:54 PM
Thanks !!!
2 91 Read More
Re: 41 Special Deluxe Chev Nut 03/27/24 08:46 PM
The insulator needs no gasket, top or bottom.
24 1,501 Read More
Re: 41 Special Deluxe eertle 03/27/24 08:43 PM
Ok, I got it started but it will only run on choke when cold or full throttle when warm. I’m thinking vacuum issue for several reasons.

The carb was pretty gunked up and missing a screw holding the two halves together. I’ve got that all cleaned and rebuilt and ready to go back on.

I got a new Bakelite insulator from Chevs of the ‘40s but didn’t see where I could order a gasket. Looking at the material, I think there needs to be a gasket on top and bottom. Can anyone confirm, and what is the material? Are people using gasket maker, felt, cork, etc?

Side note - this thing has a Rochester carb and the base bolts are 2 15/16 apart instead of 2 11/26. All of the 216 material I’ve seen says 2 11/16 so I’m wondering if somehow this thing has the intake and carb from a 235. The engine is definitely the original 216 based on the side cover.
24 1,501 Read More
Electrical - 12 volt Jump to new posts
Re: 12 volt conversion gone haywire Nick_in_Manitou 03/27/24 08:05 PM
As someone who has recently started on a 1940 KC model pickup project and was about to ask this community if I should convert to 12 volts or not...this thread is amazing!

I don't know if I have figured out the answer, but there was a lot of interesting reading here.

The truck I am starting on has an alternator and a starter, but I don't know anything about them. There is not one usable wire in the whole truck, so rewiring will have to happen. I have rewired a couple of old vehicles in the past, but that was decades ago, so I will probably purchase a wiring harness from one of the vendors.
42 11,343 Read More
Re: Fixing my Dad's 1929 Chevy - Its a Surprise! Tiny 03/27/24 07:47 PM
Welcome to VCCA Chat! Sounds like a great project. I'll move this to General Discussions to get you a wider audience. When you get to specific questions you'll be better served to put them in the appropriate technical forum. First there's NO need for an 8 volt battery. That is a "cure" for an easily fixed problem. What you need is properly sized battery cables, (1 AWG or larger) I use 0 AWG (the smaller the number the larger the wire) and clean connections everywhere electricity passes. Second, unless the tank and fuel system was drained when the car was parked don't just dump gas into the tank and start it. Pull and clean the tank, lines, pump and carburetor before trying to start the car. There will be more folks along with further suggestions. Good luck.
1 35 Read More
Re: New guy with a 1940 KC project Nick_in_Manitou 03/27/24 06:19 PM
Tony,

I think that is what I will do - at least at this stage. My current plan is to make a driver out of it, but not do anything that would prevent the truck from being restored to original in the future. Money I don't spend on a reproduction floor pan that won't be noticed would be better spent elsewhere at this point.

Nick
25 1,466 Read More
Fixing my Dad's 1929 Chevy - Its a Surprise! Dads29Chevy 03/27/24 05:58 PM
Greetings Everyone,

My Dad bought his first car (1929 Chevy) when he was 14. He has had this car ever since. He and my Grandfather packed it away very well in the barn eons ago.(My sister and I were allowed to climb and explore anywhere we wanted in the barn - except Dad's car, that was off limits. I am now 50, so I have known this car my entire life!) My Dad will be turning 80 this year and I want him to drive his car again, he has talked and talked about driving his car for years and there the car sits. He started to do a tiny bit of work on it, it has all new tires then covid hit and then our family home had a major fire. So once again the car has taken a back seat to getting the house back up and rebuilt.

I own a little coffee shop not far from my family home and my Dad wants to drive his car to Cars and Coffee "barn dust and all", so I have enlisted the help of 2 "car guys" that are regulars at the shop who know their cars. I am doing my best to learn as much as I can from this forum about his Chevy so that the "car guys" don't have use their valuable time doing research, but can spend that time actually working on the car. I actually sneak them into the barn so that my Dad does not find out, talk about mission impossible!

That is my backstory, and why my questions will be very simple.

First question: Can I use an 8volt battery instead of a 6volt battery to give the starter more juice to get the engine going? My Dad has done this in all his tractors with no issues and I thought since this engine looks very similar to a tractor engine, maybe the same rules apply.

I have gotten new spark plugs and wires, and also have the fuel pump rebuild kit. The engine does turn with the hand crank, but we want to see if a little gas will get the engine running. That is our first step.

I will keep everyone posted and do my best to find answers to questions that have already been asked. If anyone has any helpful hints, websites, or I wish I would have done that suggestions, please feel free to share. Thank you in advance and I look forward to working and learning from everyone.
Susan
1 35 Read More
Electrical - 6 volt Jump to new posts
Re: Correct coil Dogbreath 03/27/24 05:28 PM
Basics,

Check that the points are set correctly, then check static timing. Check the inside of the distributor cap and the rotor for burn marks and/or crud. Make sure that the coil is actually getting 6 volts.

If all that is right, then suspect the coil.

I had a similar issue with my 31. It would run great then randomly stall and not restart - no spark. Turns out that the electrolock was shorting the coil to ground. Change the wiring around to a non-standard configuration and it hasn't stalled since.
1 35 Read More
Electrical - 6 volt Jump to new posts
Correct coil Bertus 03/27/24 04:16 PM
Completed wiring recently. All lights working as well as horn and signal lights, and fuses look good. Car started and ran for a bit and then stalled. Now won't start. No spark. I think I may need to replace my coil? Secondary reading is about 10 ohms. (Meter malfunction?) Primary seems to be ok. It is a new 6 volt coil. I want to make sure I get the correct one. Is there a model number? Internal resistor?
Thanks
1 35 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave39MD), 65 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman, JEC51
18,307 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,046
Members18,307
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.